Thursday 26 November 2009

#39 - This Is The Best Villanelle Ever

I explained: It's awfully clever
My fidelity to a traditional form
This is the best villanelle ever

Light-touched like the stroke of a feather
Yet homely and earthy and warm
I explained: It's awfully clever

I showed it to my poet friend, Trevor,
He told me: 'It went down a storm!
This is the best villanelle ever!'

'Would you lie to me?' I asked him. 'Never!'
Said Trev, 'When I speak I inform!
I explained: It's awfully clever!'

So he published it all bound in leather
And left copies strewn all round the dorm.
This is the best villanelle ever.

Though it may not give hints about whether
The Beatles will ever reform
I explained, it's awfully clever.
This is the best villanelle ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.